A BIOS update for the new ROG Ally handheld aims to help improve performance woes.
A new software update for the recently released ASUS ROG Ally is out now.
The handheld, which launched last month, was initially met with plenty of positivity — but some software and performance issues were soon identified, along with overheating, and notable SD card problems, all of which somewhat hampered the initial enthusiasm for this new portable gaming PC. The 319 update for the ROG Ally in particular bought with it clear performance concerns.
ASUS responded to these various issues, outlining how they are working to fix any problems that have come to light during this launch period.
As such, a new BIOS update has now launched via MyASUS, bringing with it various enhancements, improvements and fixes — but the update is something of a half measure whilst the underlying issues are still evaluated.
ASUS ROG Ally update aims to "optimize system performance"
This new BIOS 322 update specifically fixes a bug that caused the ASUS ROG Ally to get stuck during the boot sequence. Users who had set/configured a password in BIOS mode found that the device would freeze up on the loading screen — this issue has now been resolved.
Additionally, this update also makes changes to the fan speeds for temperature management. These changes should make the system run cooler and hopefully will alleviate issues caused by the system overheating — we're testing this and will report back.
ASUS outlined the update should take just a few minutes to install.
The full patch notes, shared on the ASUS forum, are below.
BIOS 322 on 7/4/23 through MyASUS
- Bug fix: Resolved an issue that caused the ROG Ally to be stuck at the boot up loading screen when users configured a password in BIOS mode.
- Modified the Ally’s fan curve from 30dBA to 35dBA in Turbo mode when plugged in, and from 25dBA to 30 dBA in Turbo mode when using the battery. Changed the minimum fan speed in Manual mode when device hits a certain temperature.
ACSE v1.2.13 on 7/5/23 through Armoury Crate SE
- UX improvement: optimized the panel opacity, resulting in a more visually balanced display.
- New feature: Modified FPS Limiter options to "30/45/60/90/120/OFF".
- New feature: Added BIOS and Armoury Crate configuration information under System settings.
- Bug fix: Fixed incorrect TDP values displayed on the Manual mode icon.
- Bug fix: Resolved an issue when uploading images and recordings for social media sharing.
- Bug fix: Resolved an issue where an error code from Armoury Crate Service tool was displayed (error code: 0xc0000142).
- New feature: Added an “Alt+F4” function in Command Center to quickly exit games and programs.
AMD iGPU driver v31.0.14058.4001 on 6/19/23 through MyASUS
- Bug fix: Resolved some performance issues with the XG Mobile GC32 on the ROG Ally.
AMD iGPU driver v31.0.14058.3001 on 6/16/23 through MyASUS
- Bug fix: Resolved occasional touch screen malfunction when the panel refresh rate was set to 60Hz.