Kojima is back with a mind-bending Death Stranding 2 trailer, Sony might be working on a PS Vita 2 successor, and more.
Hello, and good day! Welcome to a new edition of
Kojima overkill digest, your newsletter with the best handheld gaming (and then some) reads of the week.
Yesterday, I participated in my first Magic: The Gathering pre-release draft tournament (read more on my blog). I wanted to thank everyone who sent me links and resources a while ago, they helped a lot in getting ready.
This gaming week was dominated by PlayStation's State of Play and Kojima's weird-as-hell Death Stranding 2 trailer. So, let's get to it!
Big this week
- Everything we've seen at PlayStation's State of Play. On Wednesday, Sony held their regular State of Play, showcasing future titles from first and third party developers coming to the PS5 (some of them will also come to PC sooner or later, with other titles like Dave the Diver and V Rising already available). My highlights were the more details shared on Judas from BioShock-creator Ken Levine, the announcement for the Final Fantasy VII Rebirth State of Play on Tuesday, and, obviously (going by this week's title), this absolutely bonkers Death Stranding 2 trailer. I mean, come on, a guitar-wielding Troy Baker fighting a Samurai robot thing that has a baby's laughter? This is Peak Kojima!
- The Best Games coming to Steam in February. New month, new games list by Chris. He looked at all the great games coming to Steam this month – though I must admit, my highlight for February is the release of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth on PlayStation 5.
- A PS Vita successor might be in the works. While talking about Sony, YouTuber Moores Law is Dead shared on his channel (the above link is timestamped), that Sony and AMD are currently working on a potential successor to the PS Vita. The project is still in very early phases, with Moores Law is Dead expecting the handheld to be at least two years away. So, since this is so far in the future, take everything with a truckload of salt. But The Phawx analyzed on his channel if such a device is possible, and the answer is "yes".
- The FlipGo Dual-Screen Monitor. I reviewed the FlipGo monitor by JSAUX. While it targets productivity, I quickly discovered it might be the best monitor for 3DS (and DS) emulation.
- A Switch Lite OLED Mode. YouTuber Taki Udon shared a mod he did, adding an OLED screen to a Switch Lite.
- An interview with Nintendo-Hacker Gary Bowser. Gary Bowser, convicted of selling mod chips for the Nintendo Switch, gave an interview on his life after jail. And yes, that's really his name.
- Xbox might stop releasing physical games. Major European retailers have stopped stocking physical Xbox games, while Microsoft has closed internal departments dedicated to releasing these. This will inevitably shutter the second-hand market.
- The AYANEO Flip DS is now available for pre-order. This might be one of the more exciting handhelds of late.
- Xbox's revenue overtook Windows. Looks like that Activision/Blizzard deal was very lucrative.
- Celeste developers released an N64-inspired title. The Celeste team released a free 3D platformer on itch.io to celebrate the game's sixth anniversary.
- PS3 emulator adds online support to more games. Games now supported include Peace Walker in the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Tekken 6, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Soul Calibur V, Demon's Souls and Minecraft.
OK, that's all! As always, thanks for reading.