Here's how to update your Asus ROG Ally BIOS and JSAUX dock firmware for Turbo Mode.
The Turbo Mode on the ROG Ally is a special 30W TDP mode that only works when the ROG Ally is connected to power. Before the release of these updates, that mode was limited to the charger that came with the handheld, but now it works with a plethora of JSAUX docks. Here is the complete list.
- HB0602 5-in-1 Dock
- HB0603 6-in-1 Dock
- HB0702 7-in-1 Dock
- HB0604 m.2 Dock
- HB1101 11-in-1 Dock (for the Modcase)
- HB0801 & HB1201 RGB Dock
- OmniCase 2 & OmniCase 2 Pro
They will support the Turbo Mode out of the box if you use any of these docks with a 100W charger – no matter the brand. All you need to do is install the BIOS update through Armory Crate SE on your ROG Ally. Here's how:
How to update the Asus ROG Ally Bios
- On your ROG Ally, open up the
- Open the
Customer Supporttab on the left side, or click directly on the
Essential updatetile if available. If you click on that tile, skip the next step.
- At the top of the page, select the
- Click the
Checkbutton and wait a few moments.
- You'll see an
BIOS Upgrade Utility for RC71Loption if there is an update for your ROG Ally BIOS.
Downloadand install it.
- After installation, connect your ROG Ally to power and reboot it.
While installing the BIOS update, your ROG Ally might reboot once or twice. This is normal, and don't turn it off, as it risks bricking your Windows installation or, worse, your BIOS firmware.
How to update your JSAUX Dock for the ROG Ally
- First, download this firmware file (the download starts automatically) on a Windows PC. It will not work on a Mac or on a Linux machine like the Steam Deck. But you can directly use it on your ROG Ally.
- Depending on the dock, you want to upgrade follow one of the methods below:
- For HB0602: Connect the attached cable to a USB port of the Windows machine.
- For HB0603 and HB0604: Connect a USB-C cable to the Dock's
PD port, and then to your Windows machine.
- On your Windows device, unpack the file you downloaded.
- Next, open up the
UpdateTool2.1.9file to start the update process.
- In the opened window, you want to type
new VID01: 0xfile, and type
(optional) new VID2: 0xfile. Ignore the "optional" here. (See image below)
- Next, click the
- If the installation was successful, the window should say
Update VID Pass!.
- But just to make sure, click the
Get VIDbutton and if it says
The VID is: 0x0b05 0x0639, we're done.
So far, these updates are only for the docks mentioned above. JSAUX is still updating the other docks, like the new RGB Dock or the OmniCase 2. So while they work without issues with a 100W charger, if you want to use a 65W charger, you need to be patient.