Last Friday, Valve released another beta update for the Steam Deck client, which completely overhauls the virtual menu feature on the Deck.
Bill from NerdNest shared a deep dive on YouTube showing all the new capabilities that come with this update. Give it a look. He explains it better than I ever could.
Additionally, this update also improves the media library performance if you have many screenshots.
Here is the full changelog:
- Improved Media page performance for users with a large number of screenshots
- Restyled the Media page to show more screenshots at one time
- Fullscreen screenshots can now be scrolled through by pressing left/right
- Fixed an issue loading game carousel items on the home recommended tab
- Fixed an issue where the on-screen keyboard would not type into chat tabs
- Overhauled the Virtual Menu feature in Steam Input:
- The visual style of virtual menus has been updated
- Virtual Menus can now be named and moved between different sources or converted between menu types
- Bindings such as keyboard keys or gamepad buttons will now display glyphs when the user has not manually picked an icon
- Icons and colors can now be assigned in the configurator
- Menu items can now be easily reordered
- Responsiveness of the cursor and general performance has been improved
Follow this guide if you want to install beta releases.